David and I have had a successful weeks climbing together. We have covered lots of excellent ground on limestone and granite. Routes completed;
- L’Arete a Marion near the Col des Aravis.
- Aiguille d’Entreves Traverse.
- Traverese of the Pyramide Calcaire in the Val Veny.
- The Voie Perroux Brunat on L’ Index above Chamonix.
Tomorrow we are off to La Duchere to look at multi pitch lead climbing skills.
I was out this week on behalf of Frost Guiding with Chris. We had a successful week completing the following;
- Rock climbing at the Vallorcine Slabs.
- The traverse of Pointe Percee via the Arête du Doigt and Cheminee Sallanches.
- Arete Marion.
- The Dom (4545m).
- Skills day near Arolla.
Guy, Joey, Paul and I have had four varied days in the Alps.
On Tuesday we climbed Aiguilles Marbrees and traversed Le Petit Flambeau from the Rifugio Torino before overnighting at the hut. The snow ridge on Le Petit Flambeau is currently icy and requires screws.
The next day we traversed the Aiguille d’Entreves in good conditions.
Yesterday we visited the beautiful Vanoise National Park and traversed the stunning Aiguille de la Vanoise which includes a very, very narrow rock ridge.
Today we went multi pitch rock climbing at La Duchere. There is some seepage on the crag after last nights rain.
John and I have had another busy few days. On Friday we walked to the Hörnli Hut before climbing the Matterhorn yesterday.
Today we visited the Eldorado Domes above Les Contamines. This excellent crag is 5/6 pitches high and rarely visited. Even though it is a Sunday in August, we were the only climbers there.
John and I have been out in the Alps together the last few days.
On Sunday we walked to the Tracuit Hut before climbing the Bishorn on Monday. Conditions on the mountain were good. There are two areas of significant crevasses that need to be crossed. Having a good amount of rope out is important.
Yesterday we visited Servoz crag before making the approach to the Rifugio Vittorio Emanuel. Today we climbed the Gran Paradiso via the classic route. The snout of the glacier is getting icy as is the area around 3600m. Soon it may be better to go by the variation route described in Martin Moran’s 4000m peaks book.
This week I have been out with David, Mirsie, Mark, Micheal and Jack on behalf of Frost Guiding. We climbed the following;
- Pointe 2940 above the Pas de Chèvre.
- Le Serpentine (3789m) from the Col de la Serpentine in Scottish winter conditions. We accessed the mountain from the Dix Hut. Th conditions on the glacier were good.
- Pointe du Pas de Chèvre (2991m).
- The Dufourspitze (4634m). The conditions were good on the mountain.
I have just spent 6 days with Sam, Richard, Fred and Frost Guiding. Here are the details of what we did;
- Day one. Ecole de Glacé on Moiry Glacier. Overnight at Moiry Hut.
- Day two. Pointe de Mourti in good conditions.
- Day three. Crevasse rescue on the way to the Vignettes Hut.
- Day four. Traverse of Pigne d’Arolla. There is a 60 metre section of ice that requires ice screw belays on the ascent to the summit.
- Day five. Ecole d’ escalade near the Orny Hut. Overnight at Trient Hut.
- Day six. Aiguille du Tour in good conditions.
There are more photos on the Facebook page.
Tina, Scott, Steve, Paul and I have just had six excellent days mountaineering in the Alps. We climbed the following;
- Day one. L’Arete Marion on the Pointes de la Blonniere. A beautiful rock ridge.
- Day two to five. We visited the Vanoise where we traversed Mont Pelve and climbed Dome des Sonnailles. On the way we overnighted at the Refuge entre Deux Eaux, Refuge Col de la Vanoise and Refuge de la Valette. We received great hospitality at all the huts. The mountains were in good condition.
- Day six. We climbed Eperon de la Cicle on the Tete de la Cicle above Les Contamines.
Lots more photos on the facebook page.
I have just had an excellent week with Mel, Michelle, Tom, Andy and www.frostguiding.co.uk.
Our week began with an ascent of the Bishorn (4153m) from the Tracuit Hut in perfect conditions. We then completed two via ferratas (Nax and Evolene) on Tuesday as a semi rest day before our next planned route!
On Wednesday we made the significant approach to the Refuge Gonella before traversing Mont Blanc (via the Pope Route and the Gouter Route) on Thursday and overnighting at the Refuge Gouter. Today we descended at 5am from the hut to the valley.
A few notes on conditions:
- The glacier on the approach to the Rifugio Gonella is not as dry as normal. A rope is advised.
- The glacier above the Rifugio Gonella has significant serac danger.
- There are only a couple of icy sections around the Piton des Italiens.
- There has been stonefall in the Grand Couloir. It is best to cross this early.
Congratulations to Amanda and Trevor who summited Mont Blanc yesterday. We climbed the mountain via the Refuge du Gouter and the Refuge de Tete Rousse.
The Grand Couloir was quiet during our ascent (between 2.15am and 4.15am) and our descent (between 5.00am and 7.00am). I did hear activity during the afternoon and evening. The conditions above the Gouter Hut were excellent.