David and I have just finished a great week together in the Alps. This was my final week in the Alps this season. We visited both the Monte Viso Massif and the Mont Blanc Massif.
Below is a report on where we went and the conditions we found. The first three days were based from the very welcoming Rifugio Giacoletti. The second three days were based from the excellent www.gitemontjoly.com in Saint Gervais.
- 13/09/17. Punta Venezia (3096m) via Cresta Perotti. Can be climbed in the same day as the walk in to the hut if you get to the car park early!
- 14/09/17. Punta Roma (3069m) to Paso Giacoletti via Cresta del Colonnello. Traditional alpine AD ridge. Not a place to be in a storm.
- 15/09/17. Punta Udine (3019m) via Cresta Est. Classic rock ridge right behind the hut. We wore rock shoes.
- 16/09/17. Arete a’ Lauernce and Arete des Cosmiques. In excellent condtion following the recent snowfall.
- 17/09/17. Aiguille Crochues (2840m) traverse and Aiguille du Belvedere (2965m). In wintery condition. Crampons would have been useful on the Belvedere.
- 18/09/17. Multi pitch climbing at Les Gaillands. Lots of easy routes to do in mixed weather.
There are lots more photos on the facebook page.
Andrew, Nigel and I have just had a great weeks mountaineering with www.frostguiding.co.uk. We completed the following routes, days and summits;
- Traverse of the Aiguille d’Entreves (3600m).
- Aiguille Marbres (3535m).
- Traverse of Le Petit Flambeau (3440m).
- Traverse of Aiguille Crochues (2840m).
- Rock climbing at Bramois.
- Traverse of Breithorn East (4139m) and West (4165m) from Col 4022m.
- Pollux (4092m).
There are many more photos on the facebook page.
Paul and Frank are just back from Les Ecrins where they had a great time climbing the Aiguille Dibona (3130m). They bivouacked before their ascent as the hut is currently being renovated and a little bit dusty! As usual the Dibona provided amazing climbing in a stunning setting.
Rob, Andy and I have had two brilliant days in the Mont Blanc Massif followed by a great day in Les Aiguilles Rouge. On Saturday we climbed above the clouds on the Petite Aiguille Verte (3512m) in perfect conditions before descending to the Refuge d’Argentiere to overnight.
We left the hut on Sunday morning in falling snow before emerging from the clouds into the sunshine to climb Pointe sup des Amethystes (3586m). A few notes on this mountain. Firstly, two axes are useful (the lads had two, I had one!). Secondly, two 60 metre ropes are very useful. I had one and therefore had to build anchors on wires and an abalakov thread to get back down.
Today we traversed the Aiguille Crochues (2837m). This is a really enjoyable route and great for practising moving together on.
Many more photos can be found on the facebook page.